Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Day 11 - Do You Remember Your Latin

Well, it was Tuesday and I was back in the office continuing on the training I had been giving the week before. The system was operational and we had some data to play with, but the customer still didn't know how to use the system. I continued to conduct my training sessions all day long, and as I had mentioned earlier, most definitely helped one lady get her extra hours of sleep in. Oh well.

Training was training, nothing particularly special. For lunch, we had almost the exact same arrangement as the previous Thursday, only this time we had wraps instead of sandwiches. The tasted fine and I avoided the ones with mushrooms. For the first time since being here my allergies started to effect me. I was reassured by Rob from out in the field that there was a haze hanging over the city when he drove in that morning.

After lunch I continued to sniffle and the trainees continued to learn, and otherwise be bombarded with lots of new information. We took breaks when necessary and I became good friends with the automatic (and free) cappuccino/coffee/hot chocolate/latte machine.

That night when I got home, I did NOTHING, Zilch, Nada, and to a lesser extent bubkes. OK, so technically it is not possible to do nothing. To breathe is to do something. To not breathe is also to do something. But in a less strict sense of the word, and avoiding the philosophical discussion of what it means to be a nihilist and believe in nothing, since that is not quite me either. Although, once I am back home, if someone wants to have an intellectual conversation about the ramifications of what it would mean if the nihilism view of the world were the correct one, I would be up for it. Of course, the best movie use of the term and philosophical ideal is in the move 'The Big Lebowski.'

So, back into regular life and away from such words that are obviously derivatives of their Latin roots, (get this, nihilism comes from the Latin word nihil, meaning 'nothing'; thank you three years of Latin in high-school) I really didn't do anything besides respond to some left over work related e-mails after I got home. The e-mail checking lasted maybe until 7:00PM and then I went to bed. And by going to bed, I do mean that I passed out - tired!

The problem with falling asleep that early is that you are bound to wake up before morning, which I did. When I awoke, I worked on posting here on this blog, called the Western hemisphere, and chatted with some people online, and then I went back to bed until morning.

Starting this day, and still not corrected, my sleep schedule has been way, way off from an appropriate one for this side of the earth.

Oh well, maybe it will help me adjust back to US time.

3 comments:

Clay said...

I think it's safe to say that the only things you were doing were autonomic. :)

Parse the latin for that one. :p

Danny V. said...

But autonomic is of Greek origin.

Clay said...

hehe, indeed. You should know that from philosophy class too, if not from somewhere else.