Sunday, April 1, 2007

Day 1 - Flights and Sights

Hello everyone!!

Well, I have spent one day in Melbourne so far and thought that this would be the best forum to keep everyone up-to-date on the various happenings.

Introduction: I am Dan and my company decided to send me down to Australia for three weeks, to which I am adding a week of vacation.

The flight was mostly uneventful, but what elese is to be expected when you fly over the Pacific Ocean at night? We did fly right over Las Vegas on the way out. Oddly, the MGM Grand was the obvious landmark, not the Luxor's light.

As morning was approaching on the plane I could kinda watch the suset.


The view after the sunrise was not much better than the view of darkness all night long, but the movie 'The Langoliers' did come to mind.


Down here in Australia, they do drive on the left. It wasn't too hard to drive on the highway, but I had to keep in mind the advice of one sign "Slower Traffic Stay LEFT". In the city, however, driving is much more difficult, and I got myself just a little lost for starters. They have lots of light rail trams here that drive in the midddle of the road. Because of this, right turns are supposed to be performed fromt he far left. I really should video tape the maneuver because cars pull into the intersection on the far left, letting straight traffic pass to their right. These cars will sit on the tracks of the trams and wait until the lights change to make a very wide turn onto their new road.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Hi Dan,

I'm glad to hear that you made it safe and sound.

This is a cool idea for staying in touch. Are we automatically notified as you make new posts to the blog? I am looking forward to them.

How's the weather? What is early fall like there?

Love,
Dad